Monday, September 30, 2013

A late introduction of sorts

Hobbits are a little people, smaller than dwarves. They love peace and quiet and good tilled earth. They dislike machines, but they are handy with tools. They are nimble, but don't like to hurry. They have sharp ears and eyes. They are inclined to be fat. they wear bright colors, but seldom wear shoes. They like to laugh and eat (six meals a day) and drink. They like parties and they like to give and receive presents. They inhabit a land they call The Shire, a place between the River Brandywine and the Far Downs. ~ Introduction, The Hobbit. 1966 Ballantine Books

One of the benefits with age is a better understanding of the self. When I was a teenager, I thought myself more like the elves or the fey. A woodland sort of creature with a sense of magic. Now I understand that I am a hobbit, and that is a very pleasant way to be thank you very much. Some of my greatest pleasures are baking our weekly bread, sharing home brewed beer(s) with close friends, and working in my garden. If I must go out, I prefer a quiet pint at the pub over a cocktail at a loud club. Yes indeed, the simple life of a hobbit is for me.

However, I am a hobbit of the Took line. People say that somewhere in our past one of our ancestors must have taken a fairy wife, as once in a while we have a tendency to go on adventures. I do love a good adventure and have been racking my brain for years for a suitable title for a recording of both my day-to-day life and my adventures. Of course I should have known that eventually I would turn to Tolkien for inspiration (and no Mr. Colbert, I do not challenge your supremacy in the field of Tolkien trivia, it has been many years since I spoke any Sindarin or Quenya). So here is a place I have made for myself, a modern "There and Back Again" if you will, to chronicle both my mundane hobbit existence along with my very un-hobbitlike adventures.

Welcome, or as the elves would say: Tolo na naur, gi nathlam hí.





No comments:

Post a Comment